Monday, July 29, 2013

New Glarus Black Top Review



New Glarus Black Top is probably the first Black IPA that I have ever had. At the time of trying it, I was not quite into craft beer and still getting used to the styles that I still considered "off-beat" at the time and this was no exception. I remember having this at a bar while visiting a couple of friends who were going to Marquette University in Milwaukee.

What was my initial impression of Black Top at the time, you ask? Let me put it to you this way: You remember that tire swing on the playground that you used to swing on when you were a kid; And when it got very warm and sunny, it had a that burnt rubber smell? Well, that's what I said it tasted like when I took my first sip of it. It wasn't my proudest moment because I ordered a Miller Lite after that and drank it like the curmudgeon-y college kid that I was.

Well after 4 years, I'm ready to give this another go thanks to my refined palate. Black Top is a Black IPA with an ABV of 6.9%. From my experience, Black IPAs are usually as a seasonal or limited release, according to the New Glarus Website it's a year-round offering.

Black Top pours a pitch black color with a soapy khaki-colored head. There is some lacing left on the side of the glass.

The nose has a pretty strong piney hop scent along with chocolate, licorice, roasted barley and malts. This is definitely one of the hoppier smelling Black IPAs out there.

As for the flavor, the piney hops are fairly prevalent upfront along with the licorice and chocolate notes. After that you have some roasted malt & barley flavors which rest on the back of the palate. The aftertaste is a bittersweet chocolate and hoppy finish.

The body is fairly moderate in weight and the carbonation is fairly moderate as well but allows you to experience the flavors without getting in the way too much.

Well, it certainly tastes alot better than I remember it! Looking back, I probably mistook the licorice flavor for "burnt rubber." To sum it up, it's a nicely balanced Black IPA with just the right amount of hoppiness and roastiness for anyone who's a fan of the style to enjoy and possibly fans of both IPAs and stouts.

New Glarus Black Top - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment