Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Castle Danger George Hunter Stout Review


I mentioned in my previous post that I was in Duluth last weekend visiting my Dad. While I was up there, I picked up a growler from Castle Danger Brewing which is about a 45 minute drive up the North Shore from Duluth proper. Below is their current facility....


It is literally the size of my living room basement




....And yes, it is that small. They will be moving into a bigger facility in Two Harbors to expand production (Which is supposed to happen later this year) and hopefully bring it down to the Twin Cities in the near future.

I've actually had their Nestor Grade Amber Ale as I got it as a Christmas gift and thought it was really good. So I figured I would review the George Hunter Stout, which is named after the owner's Great-Great Grandfather.

To start, it pours a pitch black color with a very dark brown head. It's a beer so dark, I can see my reflection on the glass. The lacing also sticky and abundant.

The nose consists mainly cocoa, roasted malts, chocolate, and hops. Pretty sweet cocoa notes upfront with just a hint of hop bitterness in the back, all of which are over-encompassed by a malt sweetness.

In terms of taste, the sweet milk chocolate and coca hit the palate almost immediately, with the middle possessing an almost caramel-like quality, while the finish is a chocolate-hop bitterness.

The beer itself is both creamy and smooth, thanks to it's light yet thick texture and mild carbonation. This goes down incredibly easy and feels heavenly on the palate.

This is a solid stout. I sincerely hope that Castle Danger is available in the near future in the Twin Cities area because I've been very impressed with the quality of the beers that I've had from them so far. If you are ever going up to the Minnesota North Shore for any reason, please try to stop by and pick up a growler or have it on tap because Castle Danger makes absolutely great beer! And if you get the chance, try this beer out as well!

Castle Danger George Hunter Stout -  9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment