Monday, May 5, 2014

Castle Danger Double Crossing IPA Review


Name: Castle Danger Double Crossing IPA
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 9.1%

Last weekend, I made the drive up the shore to Castle Danger Brewing to grab myself a growler of beer. Since it was a nice, sunny spring day as opposed to a snowstorm that I've come to expect, I decided to drive with the windows rolled down while taking in the breeze. Along the way, I stopped by the site of the new brewery and I have to say it's come quite a way considering that it was an empty parking lot not even 8 months ago. Since it'll be opening in the very near future, I can't wait to see the end results!

While I was at the brewery, I noticed a new offering called Double Crossing, which just so happened to be an Imperial IPA. I feel like its been awhile since I've had a good Imperial IPA (and a local one at that) I decided to give this one a go. Plus I was quite pleased with the last IPA offering I had from them. So with my growler buckled in, I made the drive back to my place of residence and picked up some Do North Pizza for dinner.

Double Crossing pours a hazy orange color with a thin filmy head. The lacing left behind on the sides of the glass is moderate and the visible carbonation is fairly mild.

The nose is best described as a blast of citrus hops, tangerines, mangoes, apricots, and a solid caramel maltiness. Overall, it's a very fruity aroma.

The flavor retains most of what was found in the nose. It starts out with a mix of citrus hops, mango, apricot, caramel and a strong malty backbone which provides a solid foundation for the flavors. The aftertaste is fairly malty with a mild hint of apricot. The body is on the heavier side and the carbonation intensity is pretty mild, giving it a fairly creamy feel.

Once again, it's another great beer from Castle Danger. It's got just enough flavor to give hop-heads the fix they are looking for, yet at the same time, I can see this beer being an excellent segway to introduce people to the Imperial IPA style. I know I've said this before, but pick up a growler and see for yourself!

Castle Danger Double Crossing IPA - 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment