Thursday, October 16, 2014

Bauhaus Brew Labs Sky-Five Review




Name: Bauhaus Brew Labs Sky-Five
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6.7%

For this review, I have a brand new beer from Bauhaus Brew Labs, a new brewery which just opened its doors in Northeast Minneapolis this past summer. Last weekend, I was in Minneapolis and decided to swing by Bauhaus' Taproom to sample their beers. I also decided I might as well as grab a few cans to bring back for me to review. My first Bauhaus Brew Labs review will be of their Sky-Five IPA, which I was told was their most popular offering.

Sky-Five pours an extremely hazy orange color and what I mean by this is that it's so hazy that light has some trouble getting through. The head is nice and foamy with a two-finger width and the levels of visible carbonation are very low.

The aroma is a mixture of rich citrus hops, orange peels, grapefruits and piney hops with some caramel & pale maltiness. This may be a bit of a stretch to say, but the smell reminds me of of a glass of orange juice

Much like the nose, the flavor possesses a strong citra-hop and tropical fruitness upfront & some grapefruit notes with some bitter piney hops on the back end of the palate. The aftertaste contains some bitter resin hoppiness, a slight but noticeable orange sweetness and some pale malts.

The mouthfeel on this beer is rather moderate in terms of weight but its lightly carbonated, however not to the point where one could call it flat.

I'm going to make a pretty bold statement here but I think this is one of the best Minnesota-based IPAs I've ever had, even rivaling that of Surly Furious. While some may find it a bit too overwhelming in terms of citrus hops, I was blown away with how good this is. If you're ever in Minneapolis and looking for a top quality IPA, this would definitely be at the top of my list as far as local IPAs are concerned.

Bauhaus Brew Labs Sky-Five - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment