Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Victory Golden Monkey Review



Name: Victory Golden Monkey
Style: Tripel
ABV: 9.5%

It's time to take a look at another beer from the Victory Brewing Company. For this review, I have Golden Monkey, their Tripel style ale. Since their availability has gotten better where I live, I hope to be doing more reviews from Victory from the future.

Maybe it's just my overactive imagination at work but having grown up on Hong Kong action cinema, I can't help but think that "Golden Monkey" would be a good title for a 1970's Kung Fu movie. Interestingly enough, when I did a search on Google, I did find this....



Okay, so maybe it's not my overactive imagination after all. Anyways, let's take a look at this beer!

Golden Monkey pours a fairly clear yellow color with a slight haziness. I'm picking up on some pretty active carbonation in the center of the glass and moderately active along the sides. The head itself quite thin, yet slightly foamy and the lacing retention is sparse and soapy.

The nose starts off with a fairly strong clove and Belgian yeastiness scent. There's also some citrus hoppiness in here with some toffee maltiness.

The flavor starts out with some strong cloves and spiciness, taking on an almost cinnamon-like characteristic along with some prominent Belgian yeasts. The citrus hops really don't show up until the end of the flavor which provides for a fruity yet bitter aftertaste. The toffee malt backbone also provides a good foundation for the flavors but it takes a while for that to really shine through. The palate possesses a very heavy body and the carbonation is also very high by Tripel standards.

While I would prefer the flavor to be a bit more balanced, this is still another great beer from Victory Brewing and I would recommend checking this out. As for pairings, I say it would go really well with an old school John Woo movie.

Victory Golden Monkey - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment