Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale Review



Name: Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale
Style: Irish Red Ale
ABV: 6.5%
IBUs: 25

I was originally going to review this beer last week in honor of St. Patrick's Day but I got distracted by another beer so I'm making amends with this review of Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale, named after the co-founders' grandfather, Patrick Conway. You know spring is not too far off when they start releasing Irish Ales for the masses to enjoy

Appearance - Clear red color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is white and quite thin, while the lacing is sparse/non-existent.

Aroma - I'm getting some toffee maltiness and light roastiness. I'm also picking up on some light nuttiness that reminds me of cashews along with some Munich Malts. There's also some slight bitter hoppiness in here as well but it's eclipsed by the other components of the beer.

Taste - Strong toffee maltiness and chocolate notes upfront, paired with some moderate bitter hoppiness and nuttiness. The aftertaste is mainly strong bitter hops and munich maltiness.

I've had my fair share of Irish Red Ales before and while none have yet to blow me away, this is definitely one of the better ones I've had. It's got a nice flavor profile and it's surprisingly easy to drink. Seek this one out before it's gone until next year.

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale Review - 8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment