Monday, March 30, 2015

Bud Light Lemon-Ade-Rita Review



Name: Bud Light Lemon-Ade-Rita
Style: Malt Liquor
ABV: 8%

I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm reviewing my first Malt Liquor in nearly a year and what better way to do so than with Bud Light Lemon-Ade-Rita? Part of Budweiser's wildly successful Lime-A-Rita series, they've got flavors ranging from lime all the way to mango! This beer in particular is the newest entry in the series having been released within the past month in anticipation of the upcoming summer season.

This is the stuff I usually see being consumed at 4th of July events and almost always in bulk. Then again, what better to pass a 6 hour waiting period for a 20 minute fireworks show than with dirt cheap alcohol? Come to think of it, the name Lemon-Ade-Rita isn't even at all catchy unlike the others in the series.

I'll be forthcoming and admit that I've had the Cran-Burr-Rita before at a wedding and I'm pretty sure my taste buds still haven't forgiven me for putting it through such misery. This is coming from someone who, while considering himself to be a beer connoisseur, every once in a great while enjoys a good margarita or mixed drink on the side.

To add further to my point I can-....Wait, what's this on the side of the can?



Gods be good, the can is telling me to deliberately water this down! I don't think I've ever seen a beer can that suggested to me that I add ice to it, which I will not be doing for this review. However, on the front of the can, you can see this being consumed from a mason jar, which I just so happen to have on hand so that what is we'll be pouring this into today.

Appearance - A very hazy bright yellow color with a high amount of visible carbonation, both on the sides of the glass and rising from the bottom. The head is around for maybe 2 seconds before fading away and it should come as a surprise to no one that there is no carbonation either. In fact, it looks like a glass of lemonade.

Aroma - Well, I'd be lying if I said if it didn't smell like Lemonade but it doesn't stop there. I'm also picking up on some light tequila notes along with some surprisingly mild adjunct grains. And hops.....well....there is none.

Taste - Lemonade, orange juice, tequila and very mild adjunct grains with some maltiness thrown in for good measure. Basically it's Mike's Hard Lemonade but Imperialized. To its credit, there is nothing offensive about it.

This is something you drink if you can't afford to buy the ingredients to make an awesome margarita. Do yourself and your BFFs a favor and spend that few extra bucks to buy a real margarita or at the very least, buy a premixed Jose Cuervo margarita bottle; It's certainly a lot better than what this beer/wanna-be margarita has to offer.

Bud Light Lemon-Ade-Rita - 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment