Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Bent Paddle Double Shot Double Black Review



Name: Bent Paddle Double Shot Double Black
Style: Black Ale
ABV: 11.2%
IBUs: 52

It took me over a year, but I finally did it. That's right, I finally procured a bottle of the ever elusive Bent Paddle seasonal release Double Shot Double Black, which is an Imperial Black Ale aged for 15 months in bourbon barrels. This is also the strongest beer I've had from the brewery to date, with an ABV clocking in at 11.2%.

I recall when this was first released back in 2014. I was at work at the time of the release the day after Thanksgiving when it was officially released in stores across Minnesota. Sadly by the time I was able to make it to the store, it was already sold out. Nevertheless, I managed to get a bottle this time around so I'm finally able to see what the fuss is about.

Appearance - Pitch black with no visible carbonation to speak of, not even along the sides of the glass. The head produces a khaki color with a slightly larger-than-thin size and a light amount of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Aroma - Dark chocolate malts and cookie dough notes upfront that reminds one of a chocolate chip cookie. I'm also getting oakiness with some light vanilla notes and light coffee grains. I could literally keep smelling this all evening

Taste - Strong dark chocolate & cookie dough flavors upfront with some vanilla sweetness and mild coffee grains and oak notes towards the middle. In the back is where those coffee notes start to taper off and gives way to more vanilla & dark chocolate sweetness along with some very light bitter hops. It's also worth noting too that the flavor comes across as very mellow and not at all boozy.

I'm going to say something right now that will probably be considered hersey amongst the craft drinking crowd in Minnesota: This may be one of the best beers to come out of Minnesota.....ever. This beer isn't in your face like so many dark beers out there and prefers to give you the flavor in layers, which is a huge plus for me.

I know that the availability for this beer is somewhat limited but should you come across it, it is absolutely worth checking out for any dedicated Minnesota beer lover out there. As far as the best beers of 2016 go, this one is currently a front runner.

Bent Paddle Double Shot Double Black - 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment