Monday, February 8, 2016

Rogue Voodoo Donut Mango Astronaut Ale Review



Name: Rogue Voodoo Donut Mango Astronaut Ale
Style: Fruit Beer(?)
ABV: 5.3%
IBUs: 20

Remember when I reviewed Rogue's Bacon Maple Ale a couple years back? Well apparently they've released quite a few Voodoo Donut beers since I posted that last, so the other day when I was at the store I came across today's beer, which is their Mango Astronaut Ale.

According to what I've found, this is the latest beer in the series and like the other entries, it is painted Pepto Bismol Pink. Although I have noticed that this bottle has more of a finished sheen to it as opposed the first beer I reviewed, which came off as more spray-painted.

Appearance - Hazy dark orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty thin with some soapy foam and very little in terms of lacing retention

Aroma - Sweet mango, pineapple and peaches with some orange fruitness and some very light yeastiness. I feel like I'm almost taking a whiff of a Pina Coleda or something but beer isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I smell this.

Taste - Mango sweetness and light bitter hops, followed by some pineapple and orange notes in the middle. The back end of the palate is more of that mango sweetness mixed in with some yeasts and light floral hops.

I could honestly see this being a good 4-pack beer for around $10, but since I paid around $12 for a bomber of this, I find it a bit harder to recommend this. Still to its credit, it does indeed taste like Mango plus other tropical fruits and I did enjoy this more than I did with the Bacon Maple Ale. As such, it is worth trying out for those who are curious but only just once.

Rogue Voodoo Donut Mango Astronaut Ale - 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment