Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Waconia Waconiator Doppelbock Review



Name: Waconia Waconiator Doppelbock
Style: Doppelbock
ABV: 8.8%
IBUs: 20

Waconia Brewing is a fairly new brewery that opened up within the past couple of years. I say this because it was one of the many breweries which opened their doors during my time in Duluth. As you have have guessed from the name, this brewery is based out of Waconia, MN. Today I have their Waconiator Doppelbock, which is a play on Spaten's Opimator Doppelbock. Like many new breweries around here, they're bottling their beers in bomber or 750ml bottles.

Appearance - Murky dark brown color with no visible carbonation. The head initially starts out foamy but fades away after a few moments, leaving behind no lacing.

Aroma - Caramel malts, followed by some light chocolate notes. I'm also getting some light toffee sweetness in here as well

Taste - Strong caramel malts & floral hops towards the front, with some chocolate notes towards the middle. There is some toffee and light bitter hops towards the back with some more caramel malts and light hops in the aftertaste.

What can I say; It's a doppelbock and a good one at that. I really haven't been able to find too many Doppelbocks as of late and having this was a very nice change of pace for myself after seemingly splurging on IPAs for so long. In short, it's nothing that I already haven't seen in a Doppelbock but it's got a fairly robust flavor so it makes this one worth checking out.

Waconia Waconiator Doppelbock - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment