Saturday, September 14, 2013

Flat Earth Element 115 Review




Name: Flat Earth Element 115
Style: California Common/Steam Beer
ABV: 5.5%

About a couple weeks ago, I was down in the Twin Cities for the Minnesota State Fair, where I indulged myself with mini-donuts, cheese curds and, or course, beer.  During my time there I even managed to get some of Lift Bridge's Mini-Donut Beer, with each glass being rimmed with cinnamon and sugar.

The Verdict: When mixed with the cinnamon and sugar, it tasted amazing. When drank without the sugar and cinnamon it tasted like a liquid donut and was quite filling; I'd give it a C+.

Now while I was down in the Cities, I grabbed some beer that is (currently) not available in the Twin Ports area. The first one I have is a summer seasonal from Flat Earth Brewing called Element 115, which is a Steam Beer.........or California Common if you want to avoid getting sued by Anchor Steam for trademark violation.

Element 115 pours a dark but clear copper color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation and a foamy head.

The aroma consists mainly of yeasts, pale malts, barley, light caramel and cider; Like Strongbow Cider. I'm not sure how else to describe it, except for Cider!

The flavor has a moderate yeast taste, along with cider sweetness, pale malts and barley. There is also a mild floral hop profile within the flavor that wasn't present in the nose.

The body is very light in weight and the carbonation is rather moderate, matching the visual appearance of the carbonation. It's quite crisp and rather fitting considering the flavor.

It's simple tasting, crisp, easy to drink and decently priced for what it is. Definitely check it out before all the fall seasonals kick it off the shelves!

Flat Earth Element 115 - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment