Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sam Adams Octoberfest Review


Name: Sam Adams Octoberfest
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
ABV: 5.3%

Fall is starting to rear it's head into our collective consciousness which means only one thing: Oktoberfest Beers. It seems this is the most widely available type of seasonal out of the entire year and pretty much every brewery has their own interpretation of this style. Now from an objective point of view, I've never had an Oktoberfest-Style Ale that has blown me away. In my experience, they've either good, okay or bad; Never great or excellent. Although I have heard whisperings and rumors that Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Uber-Oktoberfest is quite excellent....

From what I understand, Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of the most widely available Oktoberfest out on the market; If not the most widely available Oktoberfest style out there. So why not kick things off with something most beer drinkers are familiar with?

The beer pours a dark orange color with a filmy brownish head. There isn't much in terms of lacing and there's no carbonated activity as far as I can see.

Aroma-wise, I'm getting pungent Nutty and Munich Malt notes along with hints of Caramel, Yeasts and Toasted Barley. Slightly sweet and rusty scent, the latter of which is typical in some Oktoberfest Beers.

In terms of flavor, you have some strong Nutty, Bread Crust, Toasted Barley, Munich Malts and a slight Floral Hoppiness. Thankfully, no rusty taste to speak of.

The body is pretty light and the carbonation is also very light as well, though I think it does feel a bit watery at times.

Sam Adams Octoberfest is a decent beer though I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again unless it's on tap. Those who are familiar with Oktoberfest beers know what they are getting when they drink this.

Sam Adams Octoberfest - 7.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment