Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rogue Chocolate Stout Review




Name: Rogue Chocolate Stout
Style: Sweet Stout/Milk Stout
ABV: 6%

Chocolate Stout by Rogue Ales harkens back to when the idea of dark beers was a foreign concept to myself. Eventually I overcame my fears and tried out Deschutes' Obsidian Stout. Sadly I ended up hating it due to my inept palate and I deduced that darker beers simply were not for me.

That was until that fateful evening at Stanley's Northeast in Minneapolis while I was in college 2 years ago when I was given a sample of Rogue Chocolate Stout to try out. Placing my lips to the glass I took my sip and it was like discovering the Holy Grail, it was fantastic! It goes without saying that I have had this beer before but have never given it a proper review, that is until now.

Rogue Chocolate Stout pours a pitch black color and a khaki brown colored head with good retention and lacing.

The nose consists of milk chocolate, roasted barley, malts, coffee and a mild hoppiness. The hoppiness in particular is something I haven't really noticed until now; Unusual for a dark beer.

The flavor starts out with a very rich milk chocolate & cocoa flavor, before finishing off roasted barley, malts and mild hoppiness.

The body is moderate in weight and mildly carbonation. Very smooth bodied and it goes down quite easily.

Anyone who is intimidated by or even isn't a fan of darker beer, at the very least, should give this one a try. The flavor isn't particularly robust but it's just right so that you're able to savor the flavor without being too overwhelmed. As for those who like their beers dark, this should be a no-brainer!

Rogue Chocolate Stout - 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment