Sunday, June 15, 2014

Busch Signature Copper Lager Review



Name: Busch Signature Copper Lager
Style: Amber/Vienna Lager
ABV: 5.7%

It's time to look at a beer that I have been meaning to get around to for quite a while: Busch Signature Copper Lager. Released earlier this year, this is the 3rd beer (to my knowledge) released by Anheuser-Busch that contains a high-than-normal ABV than what is seen in macro lagers, with the other two being Budweiser Black Crown and Bud Light Platinum.

Released earlier this year, this beer is meant to be targeted mainly at the craft beer crowd with using the ABV as a justification for buying the product; Something which I find to be somewhat pretentious from a marketing point of view. I understand many craft beers are higher in alcohol content, but drawing from personal experience, it doesn't always necessarily mean that it's better.

Since I wasn't willing to spend the money on a six-pack, I opted for the 25oz. tallboy which just so happened to be on sale. A sign of good travels or a bad omen lurking on the horizon? Let's find out...

Busch Copper Lager pours a clear copper color with no visible carbonation to speak of what-so-ever. The head takes on a white filmy appearance with decent retention and there is also some light lacing here.

The aroma starts out with a surprisingly decent scent of Munich malts, roasted barley/grains, toffee sweetness and there's is even some faint hoppiness at the very back end of the nose! It actually smells like an amber lager should!

Now the flavor starts out with some good Munich and toasted maltiness but then the adjuncts (corn, cereal grains, etc.) seemingly come out of nowhere, hijack the rest of the flavor and it ends up tasting like a typical adjunct lager when it's all said and done. As for the faint hoppiness, it perished as well.

Now the palate is very light-bodied and the carbonation is so mild that it teeters on being almost non-existant. To it's credit though, it does make it very easy to drink even if it comes off as very watery

As much as I prefer craft beer over macro lagers, I'm somewhat disappointed that this didn't possess a better taste because it gives a pretty good first impression with the aroma. However given that it's an Anheuser-Busch product, I'm not surprised either. To it's credit though, there is nothing I would consider offensive about this beer in terms of both taste and smell. After all, with higher-than normal ABV macro lagers, you could do much, much worse.

Busch Signature Copper Lager - 5/10

5 comments:

  1. A few more IBU's and bump in carbonation would have improved this beer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15 of them on an empty stonach will knock your socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this by accident, they were out of the Dominican Presidente, so I grabbed 4 16 ounce of these, on sale. I was shocked when I took the first couple of sips. This stuff is very nice, for what it costs. Plus, a 5.7 % ABV, it will fuck you up too! Hats off to Inbev for making a fine product people can afford like this,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this by accident, they were out of the Dominican Presidente, so I grabbed 4 16 ounce of these, on sale. I was shocked when I took the first couple of sips. This stuff is very nice, for what it costs. Plus, a 5.7 % ABV, it will fuck you up too! Hats off to Inbev for making a fine product people can afford like this,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this beer in a convenience store & tried it. WOW!!!! I loved it from first sip!!! Always had to try to find it somewhere because I loved it so much!!! NOW . . . It's completely discontinued!!! I KNOW there have to be millions who love this lager. WHY????

    ReplyDelete