Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Monday Night Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale Review




Name: Monday Night Drafty Kilt
Style: Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy
ABV: 7.2%

Tonight I'm trying out some beers that were sent to me via beer mail and the next beer on my list is Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale from Monday Night Brewing. Like Red Brick Brewing before it, this is another Atlanta-based brewery, which is where the guy who I received the beer mail is from. Since my first exposure to Georgia-based beer was a very good one, I'm curious to see how this turned out.

Drafty Kilt pours a dark brownish red color with a thin khaki colored head. The lacing is rather sparse and I'm not picking up on any visible carbonation.

The aroma starts off quite smoky, even by scotch ale standards, with a solid caramel malt base. Added in are some mild roasted barley notes just a touch of dry hops on the back end. Interestingly enough, I'm not picking up on any peated scotch in nose.

The flavor starts off very similarly to the aroma as it possesses a fairly smokey and roasty profile at first. However this gives way to a nice peated scotch and caramel malt sweetness with some dry hops and  a slight yet encompassing oaky taste.

The palate possesses a medium weighted body and some light carbonation as well. I would say this strikes a pretty good balance as far as texture goes.

After having this beer, I can more easily say that Atlanta knows how to make some good beer. The flavor does start out a bit roastier than usual but once you get passed that, the rest of the flavor really starts to shine through. If I'm ever down in Atlanta, I will be sure to check out more of Monday Night's offerings. As for anyone who has access to their lineup, I would say that this is definitely worth checking out.

Monday Night Drafty Kilt - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment