Wednesday, July 9, 2014

New Belgium Wild² Dubbel Review



Name: New Belgium Wild² Dubbel
Style: Dubbel 
ABV: 8%

Since it's been a while since I reviewed anything from New Belgium Brewing, I figured I would take my first in-depth look at New Belgium's Lips of Faith Series. I had their Yuzu on tap last year and thought it was different but good nonetheless. 

For this review, I'll be taking a look at their Wild² Dubbel Ale brewed with Schisandra, a type of berry that originates from Southwestern China. According to the clerk who convinced me to buy this, it's a berry that "tastes like everything." And despite it's name, it is not a Wild Ale.

Wild² Dubbel pours a dark crimson red color when held up to a light but is otherwise quite dark in appearance. There's also a couple of bubbles climbing up the sides of the glass as well. 

The aroma starts off with a prominent dark fruit/plum scent as well as some cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar. I'm also picking up on some light sour and tart notes but it's not obvious until it warms up just a bit. Otherwise, it's very malty in terms of smell.

Dark fruits and strong candied caramel malts start things off in the flavor. I'm picking up on the cinnamon & brown sugar that was present in the nose but with that is also a very distinct peppery-like flavor, which I'm fairly certain is from the Belgian Yeasts. One thing is for sure, this is not like any Dubbel I've had before. 

The body is fairly moderate in weight and thankfully light in carbonation. It possesses a fairly creamy texture and is pretty easy to drink.

After having this, I will be looking into the Lips of Faith series a bit more because I found this to be a very vibrant and tasteful beer and I could see myself buying this again. If you're looking for a different take on the Dubbel-Style, then this beer is definitely worth your attention.

New Belgium Wild² Dubbel - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment