Saturday, November 22, 2014

Boom Island Silvius Review




Name: Boom Island Silvius
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
ABV: 5.5%

Tonight I'm going to review a beer from Boom Island Brewing Company, a brewery that takes it's name from the area of Minneapolis which it is based out of. They have been open for about 3 years now and specialize in making Belgian Style Ales. At the time of writing they are available only in the Twin Cities. For this review, I've got their Silvius, which is their Belgian Pale Ale.

Silvius pours a hazy dark orange color with a moderate amount of carbonation. The head is very foamy but the lacing is sparse.

The aroma starts off with a moderate floral & citrus hop profile. The back end of the nose consists of a mildly roasty caramel malt backbone and some light Belgian yeasts.

However the flavor is surprisingly caramel malt with some fairly strong roastiness, which is followed up by some Belgian yeasts, mild citra hops and ends with a dry roasted malt finish.

The body is fairly light but the carbonation is on the moderate side, so this beer is pretty easy to drink.

Silvius is a solid Belgian Pale Ale. Were this available in my area, I would definitely be buying this regularly. For the time being, I'll have to get my fix whenever I visit Minneapolis.

Boom Island Silvius - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment