Saturday, November 29, 2014

La Trappe Isid'or Review



Name: La Trappe Isid'or
Brewed By: Brouwerij de Koningshoeven
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
ABV: 7.5%


A few posts back, I expressed my desire to dedicate some more reviews to imports and what better way to do this than with a review of a Trappist Ale? For those who don't know, a Trappist beer can only be referred to as such if they are brewed by Trappist monks. Today I have a beer from Brouwerij de Koningshoeven called La Trappe Isid'or.

Now I've had many beers before but regrettably I have never had a Trappist ale before today. It's not because I was weary of the price or anything like that; It had just never crossed my mind to try it out.

Dark brown/orange color with some mild visible carbonation. The head is fairly thin in appearance and the lacing is somewhat on the sparse side.

The nose starts off with some strong candied caramel maltiness with some fairly strong booziness. Some dark fruit notes are also present in the aroma but I'm not picking up on much in terms of sheer hoppiness.

The flavor is fairly identical to the flavor. It starts out with some strong caramel maltiness and dark fruit notes before ending with a caramel malt and bitter hoppiness. It's fairly robust tasting beer and the booziness is not as strong as it was in the nose.

Bodywise, it's fairly moderate in weight and the carbonation level is between that of mild and moderate as well.

You know what? This is pretty good! It's got a nice robust flavor profile which makes for a wonderful beer. If you have access to this beer in your area, I would check it out! With this in mind, I will be definitely be seeking out more Trappist ales in the future!

La Trappe Isid'or - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment