Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Fair State India Pale Ale Review



Name: Fair State India Pale Ale
Style: India Pale Ale 
ABV: 6.4%
IBUs: 64

During my time in Duluth, many breweries opened up in the Twin Cities and I am only now getting around to trying them out. One of these breweries is Fair State Brewing Cooperative, the first running cooperative brewery in the state of Minnesota. I remember reading about these guys and had promised myself I would check them out. Due to my busy schedule, I've been unable to check out their taproom, which I've heard contains some amazing sour beers.

For the time being, I picked up a bomber of theirs from The Ale Jail, one of my regular haunts while I was an undergraduate. It's simply labelled called India Pale Ale. No fancy name, just straight to the point. I'll say this before starting the review, going to The Ale Jail for the first time in two years and seeing that not a thing has changed with the exception of the beer selection gives me the warm fuzzies.

Appearance - Bright yellow color with a very light amount of haze. There's a moderate amount of visible carbonation with a thin white head along with some soapy lacing.

Aroma - Bitter hops & orange peel upfront followed by some mild floral hops and bit of grapefruit bitterness. There is also a nice pale & toffee malt sweetness to help round things out.

Taste - Bitter hops on the front of the palate which lingers throughout but the citrus sweetness gains momentum as it goes on, along with the grapefruit bitterness. Also getting some moderate pale and toffee maltiness which resides mainly in the back and, again, provides a nice balance

It isn't anything I already haven't seen before, but the it's got a great flavor and the price tag for this beer (I paid about $4.99) for this, is actually a lot more reasonable than I was expecting. I would definitely recommend adding this to your shopping list should you come across it.

Fair State India Pale Ale - 8.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment