Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Michelob Golden Light Review



Name: Michelob Golden Light
Brewed By: Anheuser-Busch
Style: American Adjunct Light Lager
ABV: 4.1%
IBUs: N/A

If there is one thing I've learned in life, it is that there are some things in life I may never know. Things like: What is the meaning of life, are we alone in the Universe and why does Michelob Golden Light continue to be the most widely consumed beer in Minnesota?

Yes, despite the fact that the number of breweries in Minnesota is projected to top 110 by the end of 2015, Michelob Golden Light (Mich Golden Light as it's lovingly called here) is still the most popular beer in the State of Minnesota. Brewed by Anheuser-Busch, Michelob Golden Light is a Midwest-exclusive beer, meaning that you won't be finding this beer anywhere except in America's Heartland. This beer is pretty much available on tap in every bar in Minnesota, liquor stores have dedicated whole displays to this stuff and if you're at a social gathering, chances are you will see this beer sitting right next to the Leinie's or Summit EPA.

Despite the over-abundance of this beer, I have never had this. Normally I'd say that I never even bothered with it but the truth is that I have intentionally avoided this beer because I have heard how it is through word-of-mouth. Frankly, the only reason I am reviewing this beer is because it's football season and plus I figured since this is the beer everyone drinks, I may as well see what all the fuss is about.

Appearance - Pale yellow color with a moderate amount of carbonation. The head is initially quite foamy upon the initial pour but it gradually settles to a thin white appearance.

Aroma - Cardboard and grains, mixed in with some pale malts, and light boozy sweetness. Nothing too bad here but maybe I should've had this from a can instead?

Taste - Light pale malts, grains and cardboard upfront that falls away to what I can only describe as a watery finish. I wish I could say there was more to the flavor but there isn't. I am also literally getting no aftertaste from this at all; It's that dry.

This is the beer of choice for Minnesota?!?! I can't understand for the life of me why people would continue to drink this when there are so many options out there to choose from! Like I can understand if it's a hot day outside and you need something that isn't going to knock you out but....really?

Honestly, the only thing this beer has going for it is that it's relatively inoffensive in terms of taste but it is just so incredibly bland! Having Michelob Golden Light in Minnesota in this day and age is the equivalent of the movie Fifty Shades of Grey; Everyone may see it but it still makes it a terrible movie.

To anyone reading this that drinks this stuff on a regular basis: Please, there are so many more options to choose from out there. Have a Surly, visit a local taproom or at the very least, try out something that has hops in it! We are better than this!

Michelob Golden Light - 3/10

2 comments:

  1. everything you said the point of mich golden.. its got bite and no after taste... exactly the point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. beer garden bench

    ReplyDelete