Thursday, November 12, 2015

Off Color Scurry Review



Name: Off Color Scurry
Style: Altbier
ABV: 5.3%
IBUs: 18

Off Color Brewing, a brewery at which one of the owners is a former employee of Goose Island, recently arrived on store shelves here in Minnesota. I recently came into possession of one of their offerings after it caught my eye.

I give to you Scurry, an Altbier that is brewed with molasses, oats and honey. I was initially told that this was an ESB but I knew better simply by looking at what's inside the bottle that it was most certainly not an ESB. Plus the combination of ingredients used seemed so random yet so tempting I just had to try a bottle out for myself.

Appearance - Pitch black with tinges of brown when held up to the light. The head takes on a khaki-colored look while maintaining a thin filmy appearance. There's also no lacing to be had here.

Aroma - Caramel malts, oats, and some sweet honey; Just like the label says. I'm also getting some moderate floral hoppiness and even some light yeasty notes. I am getting a hint of molasses here, but it is overshadowed by the rest of the nose.

Taste - Caramel malts and sweet honey, mixed in with some roasted barley and oatmeal notes. I am also picking up on some chocolate sweetness, mainly on the back end of the palate with some light honey and oatmeal flavors. Despite the roastiness, it isn't even in the finish, which itself is quite dry save for some mild molasses bitterness and light floral hoppiness.

The flavor profile, while not overwhelming, is interesting enough to the point where it is definitely worth a look. My only complaint about this beer is that it is a tad high for the asking price, so buy this as a single bottle first (like yours truly) before deciding to spend money on a 4 pack.

Off Color Scurry - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment