Tuesday, November 3, 2015

New Belgium Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale Review (Collaboration with Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream)



Name: New Belgium Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale
Style: Brown Ale
ABV: 6.3%
IBUs: 14

I know I said that my reviews will be primarily on the weekends and holidays but that doesn't mean I won't sneak one in during the weekdays every once in a while. Since I have nothing going on tonight, I figured now would be a good time to look at something that recently caught my eye.

I'm talking about a new beer from New Belgium that they made in collaboration with Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Since I'm a huge can of Ben & Jerry's, I just had to check this one out. The beer itself is a brown ale, or more specifically, a salted caramel brownie brown ale. I recall the brewery doing a beer like this last year for their Lips of Faith series except that one was an Imperial Stout. I had it on tap and I thought it was pretty good so I'm hoping the quality of this beer is just as good as that one.

Appearance - Clear dark brown color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is fairly foamy with an off-white appearance and the lacing is on the abundant side.

Aroma - Chocolate malts and vanilla followed by some moderate lactose notes. I am getting some caramel sweetness and even a light bit a saltiness here too. It comes off as almost milk stout-like. Considering that this was more than likely made with ice cream, I'm not terribly surprised by this.

Taste - Chocolate and vanilla once again are the stars here. The caramel & saltiness show up on the back end of the palate and make up the bulk of the aftertaste. For those of you wondering, the salt is very mild and gives this beer a nice kick.

I can't say this beer blew me away like I had hoped but it is a nice, solid brown ale. If by chance the two companies were to do another collaboration in the future, based on what I tasted today, I would for sure check it out again. So yeah, it's worth checking out and is priced the same as the other New Belgium offerings.


New Belgium Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment