Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Leinenkugel's Ginger Shandy Review



Name: Leinenkugel's Ginger Shandy
Style: Radler
ABV: 4.2%
IBUs: N/A

Well since I've already reviewed the Summer, Grapefruit, and Watermelon Shandies, I might well take a look at this last one. What we have here is yet another Leinenkugel's shandy offerings, but this time around it's their Ginger Shandy. Now I'll be honest, if you told me 3 months ago that a Ginger Shandy would be a good combo, I wouldn't have believed you but Boulevard did a ginger shandy and they pulled it off remarkably well, so I have my expectations set here.

Appearance - Much like the last beer, it takes on a cloudy dark yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. Again, the head itself is quite thin and fades to a spotty filmy appearance after a couple of minutes.

Aroma - Right away, that ginger scent hits you right away and it's quite potent but I'm also getting some malted wheat notes with a light hint of barley.

Taste - Moderate ginger spiciness upfront that provides a mild amount of heat that lingers throughout. Towards the middle is where that malted wheat flavor starts to show up with some mild lemon zest, while the back end of the palate is mostly light ginger and malted wheat, with the ginger lingering in the aftertaste for a few moments afterwards.

If ginger shandies are going to be a thing, then I welcome the trend with open arms. The ginger gives this a nice crisp feel while providing a good kick without overwhelming the palate with that heat. If you're ever curious and so happen to come across this, I think this is worthy checking out.

Leinenkugel's Ginger Shandy - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment