Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mankato Kato Lager Review



Name: Mankato Kato Lager
Style: Munich Helles
ABV; 5%
IBUs: 18

Kato Lager, a newer (to my knowledge) offering from Mankato Brewery, is a beer that I've been seeing on the shelves lately so I decided to grab a bottle of this and see for myself. It's a Munich Helles Lager, a style I haven't had in a while so I'm eager to see how this is.

Appearance - Moderately hazy bright yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. There isn't really much in terms of head and the same goes for the lacing.

Aroma - Pale malts and toffee sweetness mixed in with some fairly light floral hops and light pilsner-grassiness.

Taste - Pale malts and grassiness upfront with some mild toffee sweetness towards the middle while the back end of the palate is quite dry save for some light pale malt sweetness. As for the aftertaste, it's mostly light bitter hops with a touch of pale malts

Lagers do get a bad rep sometimes, which is rather sad because this is a nice & easy drinker that's got a good flavor and is very reasonably priced. I honestly wish that more breweries would embrace lagers as a regular offering since they are, more often than not, quite good. Needless to say, this one is worth checking out.

Mankato Kato Lager - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment