Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Iron Horse Quilter's Irish Death Review


Name: Iron Horse Quilter’s Irish Death
Style: American Strong Ale
ABV: 7.8%
IBUs: 12

Up next in my monthly Tavour package is a beer from Iron Horse Brewery, based out of Ellensburg, WA and it’s called Quilter’s Irish Death. Now doing some research about this beer, I found out two things. First is that they really don’t have a classification for what kind of beer this is, though Beer Advocate and Untappd both classify this as an American Strong Ale. Secondly, this beer is named after Jim Quilter, who was one of the founders of Iron Horse who passed in 2009. If my research is correct, this beer is also one of the flagship offerings.

That being said, I’m excited to try this out, so let’s take a look!

Appearance – A clear dark brown/crimson color with a mild amount of visible carbonation when held up to a light. The head itself has a thin, tan-colored look to it and the lacing left behind is on the spotty side.

Aroma – Strong chocolate and toffee malts permeate throughout the nose with some potent rum raisin and floral hops.

Taste – Right off the bat, I’m getting some strong chocolate malt and rum raisin notes while the back of the palate opens up to that toffee maltiness and mild floral hoppiness. As for the aftertaste, it’s a mix of floral hops and dark chocolate, both of which linger for a couple of moments.

It’s not too often you see a Strong Ale as part of a flagship offering but I have to say that I can see why Iron Horse does that with this beer, plus it’s a nice break from all the IPAs and juice bombs I’ve been having as of late. If I were you, I’d pick this up or put this on your list at the very least!

Iron Horse Quilter’s Irish Death – 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment