Monday, May 18, 2020

Jester King Unfiltered Pilsner Review


Name: Jester King Unfiltered Pilsner
Style: Pilsner
ABV: 5.1%
IBUs: N/A

As much as I love supporting the local craft beer scene here in Minnesota, I yearn for beers from other parts of the country. Were this 2015/2016, I'd opt for using r/beertrade on Reddit. However Reddit decided to shut that down back in 2018 which doesn't surprise me since Reddit had been, in my opinion, declining steadily into lameness for a few years at that point

In any case, I discovered Tavour one evening while using Untappd a month back and well....I haven't looked back since. I got a good variety of beers that I personally selected from them and I'll be taking a look at all of them.

One of these beers is from none other than Jester King Brewing, based out of Austin, TX. Today, I have their Unfiltered Pilsner, which is described as Jester King's first Pale Lager. This might not seem like such a big deal but when you consider that pretty much all of their beers are wild ales & sours, it's kind of a big deal.

Alright, enough talk, let's take a look at this beer.

Appearance - Cloudy golden color with lots of visible carbonation. The head itself is thin but with good retention and the lacing left behind is on the lighter side.

Aroma - Pilsner malts and floral hops mixed with some bready biscuit notes that comes off almost like fresh bread!

Taste - Upfront, you've got some potent Pilsner malts and floral hops while the back opens up to some vibrant lemon grass and biscuity notes. The aftertaste is a mixture floral and light bitter hoppiness.

Maybe it's because of how fresh it is or the ingredients used in this beer but I'm seriously digging this Pilsner! Everything is balanced perfectly but that biscuit flavor, for me, seals the deal. I already knew Jester King was a phenomenal brewery but this beer proves that they can make an excellent Pale Lager-style beer!

Jester King Unfiltered Pilsner - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment