Saturday, August 8, 2015

Clown Shoes Pierre Ferrand Billionaire Review



Name: Clown Shoes Pierre Ferrand Billionaire
Style: Barleywine
ABV: 12%
IBUs: N/A

Clown Shoes has become a regular visitor on my blog as of late, but the beer we have here is something that I've really been looking forward to having ever since I first heard about it a few months back and that doesn't happen too often.

Today I'll be reviewing Clown Shoe's Pierre Ferrand Billionaire, which is an English-Style Barleywine. What makes this beer so unique is that it was aged for 6 months in 30 year old Pierre Ferrand barrels, which is a brand of cognac. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have high expectations for this beer because......well I do. I recall seeing another Billionaire release from Clown Shoes last year on store shelves but that was just aged in regular cognac barrels.

Appearance - A very hazy dark brown color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation along the sides of the glass. The head is about a finger in width and has a light khaki hue to it and some decent lacing.

Aroma - Strong raisin, vanilla, and oak notes followed by some plum/blackberry fruitness. I'm also getting a hefty caramelized malt base, some bitter hoppiness and even some light tobacco notes. It goes without saying that the nose has quite a bit of character to it.

Taste - Right away I'm getting some vibrant plum & blackberry fruitness, followed by, in no particular order: vanilla, oak, raisins, a strong caramel backbone, and a siazble bitter-resin hop profile. The aftertaste consists of vanilla, caramel, and bitter hops; All of which linger on the palate for quite a while.

I have to say this is quite fantastic and there's a ton going on here in the overall flavor. If there is one thing holding it back from being perfect, I'd have to say that the flavors could've been layered a little better instead of seemingly come together all at once. Even with that in mind, this is one of the best barleywines that I've ever had and the best barrel-aged one to come along yet!

Clown Shoes Pierre Ferrand Billionaire - 9.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment