Monday, April 4, 2016

Avery Liliko'i Kepolo Review



Name: Avery Liliko'i Kepolo
Style: Witbier
ABV: 5.6%
IBUs: 10

It's been a while since I reviewed any offerings from Avery. I think the fact they have been available in Minnesota again for quite a while has made it not as novelty as it was before and this brewery in particular has kind of fallen off of my radar, for lack of a better term. That was until I stumbled upon the beer for this review.

I have Liliko'i Kepolo, a Belgian Witbier made with spices and passionfruit. Doing some research, I found that the name of this beer is Hawaiian for "Fruit Devil." Ironic that a brewery based in Colorado would make a beer with Hawaiian influences. Now one thing I did notice about this beer is that it comes in 4-packs and like many 12oz. 4-packs out there, it commands a higher-than-usual price tag. I didn't feel like buying a full 4 pack of these (like many beers I review here) so I opted to put it into my mix-a-six selection.

Appearance - Hazy yellow color with no visible carbonation. The head starts out rather foamy but loses much of its volume after a minute or so, leaving behind a thin white film, but the lacing on the other hand, is quite abundant.

Aroma - Pineapple & mango sweetness upfront followed by some malted wheat, lemongrass and pale malts.

Taste - Pineapple sweetness and apricot on the front of the palate with malted wheat and pale malts towards the middle. The back end of the palate is made up of light spices, mild floral hops and just a hint of orange peel. The aftertaste has this weird earthy taste that reminds me of leaves and it does linger for a few moments.

It's a good thing that I didn't commit to a full 4-pack of this because I would've incurred significant losses by doing so. That's my way of saying that this beer didn't do it for me. Yeah, you've got a wide variety of flavors in here but they don't work well together which is sad because, in theory, they totally should and I went into this review thinking it would. If you absolutely want to try this out, make sure it's a single can and not for a 4-pack.

Avery Liliko'i Kepolo - 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment