Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Boulevard Dark Truth Stout Review



Name: Boulevard Dark Truth Stout
Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 9.7%
IBUs: 60

Another beer from Boulevard Brewing and this time it's their Dark Truth Stout, which is an Imperial Stout. Yeah, it's the dead of summer but anytime of the year is good for an Imperial Stout. I see too that it's part of their Smokestack Series. What's the "Dark Truth" behind this beer, I wonder? The website doesn't say but one can speculate, right?

The last time I had anything from their Smokestack Series was back when I was a senior in college. If my memory serves me correctly, I got it from Zipp's in Minneapolis and it was their Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale. I remember it tasting wonderful but I do recall there being a ton of sediment floating around the insides of the glass.

Appearance - Pitch black color with no visible carbonation. The head is filmy & dark brown in appearance with some decent retention and the lacing is surprisingly sparse.

Aroma - Getting some strong chocolate malt notes with some mild roastiness and a hint of vanilla. There is also a bit of cherry and raspberry sweetness lingering around that becomes more prevelant the more it warms up.

Taste - Fairly identical to the nose; You've got Chocolate malts and vanilla here but the is stronger, more prevalent roastiness in the middle of the palate with some strong bitter hops, cherry and raspberry notes on the back end of the palate. There's also a lingering chocolate malt and bitter hop aftertaste here as well.

Dark Truth is an Imperial Stout that doesn't do anything that hasn't already been done with the style. At the same time, it's got a good flavor profile that is sure to please even the most seasoned fans of the style so therefore this is easy for me to recommend.

Boulevard Dark Truth Stout - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment