Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lakewood Saint Dymphna Review



Name: Lakewood Saint Dymphna
Style: Tripel
ABV: 8.6%
IBUs: 34

Continuing on with my second Texas Craft Beer package, I have yet another offering from Lakewood Brewing in the form of their Saint Dymphna, which is a Tripel-style ale that is part of Lakewood's Legendary Series. Doing my usual research, I found out the Dymphna is the patron saint of those with mental illness as she cared for them and supposedly cured them of their ailments when she was alive.

I'm guessing the reason this beer is named after her is because she fled her home country of Ireland to escape her father's prosecution and ended up living in the city of Geel, Belgium until her father tracked her down and murdered her. Makes for an interesting backstory, don't you think?

Appearance - Hazy dark golden color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is white & on the filmier side and the lacing is abundant and quite sticky.

Aroma - Right away I'm getting some pungent banana notes and strong Belgian yeastiness. I'm also getting some pale malts, a bit of bubblegum sweetness and even some candied caramel maltiness.

Taste - Strong Belgian yeasts and cloves up front, followed by some banana, bubblegum and toffee notes. The back end of the flavor is mainly toffee and caramel sweetness with a light hint of floral hoppiness; The latter two of which make up the aftertaste.

It's been awhile since I've had a great Tripel and this hits the spot! I know the availability of this beer is probably limited to Texas only but those who are able to try this out should definitely do so if it so happens to be available in your area.

Lakewood Saint Dymphna - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment