Saturday, July 18, 2015

Stone Delicious IPA Review



Name: Stone Delicious IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.7%
IBUs: 80

It's been about 3 1/2 weeks since I last reviewed an IPA, which I think may be the longest time in which I haven't reviewed a single one. Today we'll be breaking that spell with Stone Brewing's Delicious IPA. According to the label, it's a "flavorful, cutting-edge, modern-day IPA for everyone." and totes its reduced gluten content compared to their other beers so that more people can enjoy it. It's also made with El Dorado & Lemon Drop hops.

Now I've had one beer before this that I knew used Lemon Drop hops and that was Summit Brewing's Hop Silo Double IPA. Even though I never got around to reviewing it, I can say that Lemon Drop hops, when used correctly, make a beer taste amazing and that was the case with Hop Silo. If Summit ever decided to bring it back, I'll make sure to review it; Though I've been saying the same about their Hefeweizen for the better part of four years now.

Appearance - Very hazy orange color with a fairly foamy white head. Really not picking up on anything, carbonation-wise but there is some pretty good lacing to be had here

Aroma - Lemons and citrus hops dominate the front of the nose, along with some caramel maltiness, toffee sweetness and some very light biscuit notes. It's almost like the took an IPA and added lemonade to it, or a lemon cobbler.

Taste - Strong lemon zest along with some citrus hoppiness with the malt backbone more along the lines of a toffee flavor rather than a caramel one. The aftertaste is made up of buttery biscuits and lemon zest.....kind of like a lemon cobbler!

Is it the best IPA that I've ever had from Stone? No. Is it worthy of the name Delicious? Absolutely and the Lemon Drop hops in particular help give it a nice zing that separates it from other IPAs out there. If Lemon Drop hops are going to be the next big thing, I'd say it's a trend I welcome with open arms.

Stone Delicious IPA - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment