Thursday, July 2, 2015

Coors Light Citrus Radler Review



Name: Coors Light Grapefruit Radler
Style: Radler
ABV: 4.2%
IBUs: N/A

Earlier on I was at the store when I noticed a brand new offering from Coors and it was being sold for a very reasonable price. I'm of course talking about Coors Light Citrus Radler, a beer which, according to Beer Advocate, was released not too long ago. In fact, at the time of writing this, there are only 26 ratings for the said beer.

Normally I don't buy anything Coors related but this was on sale for $1.29 at the store and since I'm going through as many summer beers as possible, I figured this would be a good beer to review. In fact despite the fact it's from Coors, I'm always eager to see what they come up with because I follow the philosophy that even a broken clock is wrong twice a day. However, upon arriving home, I noticed that on the back of the can that it says this is "Coors Light with a blend of natural citrus flavors."

Oh boy, I've got a really bad feeling about this....

Appearance - Clear pale yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head has some decent retention but there's nothing in terms of lacing

Aroma - It's 7-Up....no seriously, I'm not joking. You've got the lemon-lime aroma with maybe a bit of alcoholic booziness. It's like you just poured a can of yellow colored 7-Up into my glass

Taste - Light Lemon-lime notes that almost immediately fades to a light barley flavor backed up by some moderate cereal grain notes and light pale malts. The aftertaste is very dry and practically non-existent. It's really too bad that the flavor isn't as robust as the nose.

Remember in my last post when I said Leinie's Summer Shandy would taste great after a 20 mile bike ride. Well, if you gave this to me after a 20 mile bike ride, I would ask that you fetch me a Summer Shandy instead because it somehow manages to have lack both a decent taste and refreshing qualities that I look for in a shandy.

The big problem with this beer isn't that it has an offensive flavor, but more because it has little flavor to speak of. In fact, I've had cheap 99 cent beers before that, while have tasted awful, had more complex flavors than this. I feel that, even by paying only $1.29, I still feel like I paid too much for this beer. As such, if you're looking for an awesome summer beer, look elsewhere.

Coors Light Citrus Radler - 4/10

1 comment: