Friday, October 30, 2015

Half Acre GoneAway Review



Name: Half Acre GoneAway
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7%

So now I'm on the last leg of my Chicago beer mail and what a ride it has been so far. My last beers I will be reviewing come from the Half Acre Brewing Company, a brewery which I have some degree of familiarity with but most of the beers I got from them I have never had before.

Starting things off is their GoneAway IPA. This used to go by the name of Senita IPA but it had a name change within the past 2 years. Even when it was called Senita, I never actually had it in that form either. It's former description as Senita calls it a "western charged firecracker", which leads me to believe that this is a West Coast IPA

Appearence - Fairly hazy bright yellow with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. Not really much in terms of a head save for a thin white film but the lacing is pretty good.

Aroma - Pungent citrus hop sweetness accent with some floral hoppiness. I'm also picking up on some light lavender notes with some grapefruit rinds and a solid pale malt backbone. I'm really enjoying the smell of this!

Taste - Rich citrus & floral hops with some lavender notes. Back end of the palate has some more citrus hop sweetness and a big pale malt backbone and some grapefruit rinds. Aftertaste is fairly sweet with some citrus hoppiness and a slight hint of hop bitterness.

If you like your IPAs sweet and fruity, this is the beer for you. I'll admit that I expected a lot more bitterness in the flavor but the lack thereof isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, why does it need to be bitter in the first place? Frankly, I like this beer just the way it is and that's the important thing. If you have access to this beer, I would highly recommend seeking this out.

Half Acre GoneAway - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment