Thursday, June 30, 2016

Delirium Tremens Review



Name: Delirium Tremens
Brewed By: Brouwerij Huyghe
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 8.7%
IBUs: 26

Why is it that I can never seem to find time to review imported beers? I mean sure, we've got fantastic beers being made right here in the US, so it kind of makes sense that imports have somewhat fallen to the wayside. In any case, I've decided to look at a beer that I've seen countless times since I've gotten into craft beer but I have never felt the urge to try it until now.

I give to you Delirium Tremens, which the label proudly proclaims to be "Elected the Best Beer in the World." That is a pretty bold claim. I've certainly heard great things about this beer, but THE best beer in the world? I'll be the judge of that.

Appearance - Bright yellow color with some moderate carbonation. The head is pretty thin for the most part but the lacing left behind is quite plentiful.

Aroma - Off the bat, I'm getting some Belgian yeasts & floral hops with clove notes and some sweet pale & toffee maltiness.

Taste - In the front, there's some hefty Belgian yeasts and floral hoppiness. Towards the middle is where I'm starting to see some of those clove notes, while in the back I'm getting some banana notes plus a good amount of pale and toffee maltiness. As for the aftertaste, it's mainly more of that toffee & pale maltiness with the cloves making a minor reappearance.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: It's very easy to understand why so many people have fallen in love with beer and I can understand how it's gained a following over the years. With that said, it isn't the best beer in the world. In fact, what constitutes the best beer in the world is more of a matter of preference than anything else.

Some think that Budweiser is the best beer in the world, while others will claim that title belongs to beers like Heady Topper or Three Floyd's Dark Lord. As a beer, this one is good. It's a bit pricey for what it is, which makes this a tad harder to give a higher score but it isn't enough to deter me from having it again in the future.

Delirium Tremens - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment