Monday, June 27, 2016

Sixpoint Puff Review



Name: Sixpoint Puff
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 9.8%
IBUs: 108

I've recently gotten a couple comments from people saying that my score of Sixpoint Brewing's Resin was a bit harsh and that I should be trying out the "superior" version of it, which apparently isn't Hi-Res. I was a bit perplexed at first but apparently there is a different version of Resin out there with the key difference being that it is dry hopped.

Which brings us to the amusingly named Puff, which is a dry hopped version of Resin and is either a rotating or summer seasonal. I'll be honest, I almost didn't grab this but I'm one who'll give the benefit of the doubt to something if I hear a compelling enough argument and that was the case with Puff. Plus, I see too that this is the newest addition to the brewery's lineup, so you know I have to check this out.

Appearance - Cloudy dark orange with a thin foamy head and a good amount of lacing along the sides of the glass. The visible carbonation is also pretty light.

Aroma - Citrus and piney hops with some strong caramel malts with some light but noticable toffee sweetness. I'm also getting some buttery biscuit notes as well.

Taste - Strong piney and moderate citrus hops on the front of the palate with some caramel and toffee maltiness in the middle. Towards the back, I'm getting some more of those piney hops but I'm also getting some mango fruitiness in here as well. As for the aftertaste, it's surprisngly dry save for a piney hop tangness on the very back of the tongue.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is the superior version of Resin, and in more ways than one. It's nicely balanced, and while there's some dankness in here, it's balanced out by usage of dry hops. I'm not sure what the pricing is one this but I'm just glad that I convinced myself to try this out

Sixpoint Puff - 8.5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment