Friday, June 17, 2016

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter Review



Name: Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Style: Baltic Porter
ABV: 9.2%
IBUs: 85

It never got weird enough for me - Hunter S. Thompson

When Flying Dog came back to Minnesota, I was excited that one of the first craft breweries I tried out was available to me once again. However there was one beer from them that I could never seem to get my hands and that was their Gonzo Imperial Porter, named in honor of writer Hunter S. Thompson. That was until last week when I saw a brand new bottle on the store selves. Without a second thought, I grabbed it


I've been an avid Hunter S. Thompson fan since I was a junior in high school after reading his Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '76 article in Rolling Stone for my Political Science class at the recommendation of my teacher, which they just so happened to have archived in the school library. The outlandish way of his writing drew me in even further to his other works and I consider him to be my all-time favorite writer. So much so that I have a tattoo on my forearm dedicated to the man himself in Steadman-style.

In fact, the owners of Flying Dog got to know Ralph Steadman, who does all the label artwork for the brewery, through Hunter S. Thompson, who was close friends with Flying Dog founder George Stranahan.

Appearance - Pitch Black with a fairly thin brown head that settles to a bring along the sides of the glass, though the lacing left behind is quite abundant.

Aroma - Roasted barley & chocolate malts with a moderate amount of smokiness. I'm also getting some fairly prominent citrus and bitter hops that become more noticeable as it warms up.

Taste - Strong chocolate malts and bitter hops starts things off upfront, with the bitter hops lingering throughout. Towards the middle I'm getting some fairly strong roasted barley and smokiness, while the back end of the palate & aftertaste opens up to some light citrus and bitter hoppiness with more of that smokey & roasty characteristics encompassing them.

Admiration for Dr. Thompson aside, this is an excellent Baltic Porter and one that I am very thankful to have finally tried this out. It's a fitting tribute to the man himself and one that I think he would proud of if he were alive today. As to those who have never had this before, I would absolutely recommend checking this out!

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter - 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment