Sunday, January 10, 2016

21st Amendment Toaster Pastry Review


Name: 21st Amendment Toaster Pastry
Style: Amber Ale
ABV: 7.6%
IBUs: 74

It's been a long while since I've had anything from 21st Amendment Brewing, but when I heard about this beer while watching Beer Geek Nation a few weeks back, I knew I had to get my hands on this just to try it out. Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to a beer mail to find this as it's readily available in our area.

Which brings us to Toaster Pastry, a beer brewed by 21st Amendment to celebrate the opening of their new production brewery in San Francisco, which was once used as a production facility for Pop Tarts, hence the name. Prior to opening, they were contract brewing & canning their beer at various facilities around the United States, with one of the main locations being in Cold Spring, Minnesota at the Cold Spring Brewing/Third Street Brewhouse facility.

As for the beer itself, it's supposed to remind the drinker of having a Pop Tart, but in liquid form, at least according to what I've read up about this beer. Let's see if this holds true.

Appearance - Very hazy amber color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is thin but there's a good amount of lacing here.

Aroma - Moderate Vienna malts & citrus hop sweetness, followed by some bitter piney hops towards the end. I'm also getting some light toffee sweetness in here as well.

Taste - Bitter and citrus hops upfront with some Vienna & toffee malts towards the middle with some mild yeastiness. I'm also getting some mango/tangerine sweetness in the back along with some bitter hops along with some more Vienna malts.

I can't say that reminds me of a Pop Tart too much save for the yeast & tangerine sweetness, but it's a pretty good beer all around and I think it's a pretty clever way to inaugurate their brand new brewery. If you see this, I say it's worth giving a shot.

21st Amendment Toaster Pastry - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment