Saturday, January 2, 2016

Evil Twin Molotov Lite Review



Name: Evil Twin Molotov Light
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 8.5%
IBUs: N/A

Hey.....remember when I reviewed Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing about a year and a half ago, which I thought (and still think) it's somewhat of a boozy mess? During that time, I found out that Evil Twin released two variations of this beer; One called Molotov Cocktail Heavy and, the beer which I have today, Molotov Light, which is still an Imperial IPA but a far cry from the original in terms of alcohol content.. Plus since I have one more Evil Twin beer in the fridge, I may as well get it out of the way for consistency sake.

What can be said about this beer? Well, aside from what I've written, the blue hued can and usage of the word "Lite" leads me to believe that this is more than likely a shot at Bud Light. Even the description of the beer is sort of a tongue-in-cheek shot at Bud Light:

Back in the days, only uncomplicated and tasteless beers existed and people started feeling bored before happy hour was up. Molotov Lite is a understated tour de force in rebellious hoppiness, it’s a subtle spark for action and yet by far one of the most anti-authoritative beers ever made by Evil Twin Brewing.

Speaking of Bud Light, remember last month when they announced a label redesign for all their cans? Yesterday I was browsing the internet when I came across a new design for Bud Light's 16 oz. cans and.................well just see for yourself.....

Photo Courtesy of MyBeerBuzz.com
Gee I wonder where Bud Light got the idea for that label from?

I wonder, I wonder.....

Appearance - Fairly hazy dark yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. It possesses a nice and foamy head that is white in color and leaves a good amount of lacing behind to boot.

Aroma - Citrus & Piney hoppiness with some toffee maltiness, along with some very potent buttery biscuit notes and grapefruit rinds. For an Imperial IPA, the buttery aspect is very strong for what it is. I can easily say I wasn't expecting this at all.

Taste - Bitter hops and mild buttery biscuits on the front of the palate, with the middle opening up to some toffee and caramelized maltiness. The back end of the flavor finishes things off with some more buttery biscuits, mild citrus hoppiness with a very small amount of booziness.

I was expecting this to be a "smaller" version of the original Molotov Cocktail, but to my surprise, it's different enough in terms of flavor where I feel it's able to stand on its own two feet. In fact, I can safely say that this is the superior Molotov Cocktail and the fact it lacks the punch of the original actually helps it out rather than hurting it.

With that said, the buttery aspect of the flavor will be off putting to some people and the hops don't quite meld together like they could. As for me, I think this is a decent beer and the asking price for it is not terrible. Unlike the original Molotov Cocktail, I'm more likely to drink this again but only if it were offered to me for free

Evil Twin Molotov Lite - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment