Monday, May 4, 2015

Blue Moon White IPA Review



Name: Blue Moon White IPA
Style: White IPA
ABV: 5.9%

Last week I was putting together a mix-a-six for myself when I noticed this beer sitting on the shelf. Upon seeing this, my reaction was: A macro-brewer released an IPA? This I've got to see! So here we are with Blue Moon's White IPA. Blue Moon, as I have pointed out earilier, was founded by MillerCoors but acts as a separate entity by producing beer that are along the lines of what is considered to be "craft beer."

I'm very curious to see how this turned out. My findings on the internet haven't revealed much, aside from that this is a very recent release and it's brewed with Cascade, Citra, and Huell Melon hops. Let's see how this turned out!

Appearance - A very hazy yellow color with no visible carbonation to speak of. The head is quite foamy and has some good retention though the lacing is surprisingly abundant and sticky

Aroma - Well this is interesting, the nose starts off with some rich citra hop/orange peel notes & honeydew melon sweetness, followed by some malted wheat and pale maltiness. There's even a hint of corinader in here as well, just like the label promised. The best way to describe the aroma is that it smells like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

Taste - Strong malted wheat & moderate citrus hop notes dominate the front of the palate, with the latter lingering throughout the flavor. The second half of the flavor consists of berry sweetness
and some potent bitter hoppiness. As for the aftertaste, it's all bitter hops with just a hint of orange peel.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but Blue Moon White IPA is quite good. Marco-brewers, take note: If you really are serious about enticing craft beer drinkers, make more beers like this. Now is this the best White IPA I've ever had? Of course not, but I would most certainly have it again should I be given the opportunity.

Blue Moon White IPA - 8/10

1 comment: