Sunday, July 3, 2016

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Review



Name: Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Style: Imperial Rye IPA
ABV: 8%
IBUs: 80


I've got a couple more beers from Bear Republic that I acquired recently so I figured I may as well get them out of the way. Today I have their Hop Rod Rye, which is their Rye IPA...or is it an Imperial Rye IPA? I mean the ABV is at 8%, which is what I usually consider to be the threshold of imperialization for beer styles. In any case, it's another highly regarded beer from the brewery so I'm excited to try it out.


Appearance - Hazy dark red color with a mild amount of carbonation. The head is nice and foamy and there's a good amount of lacing left behind along the sides of the glass

Aroma - Caramelized malts and citrus hops with some rye notes. I'm also getting some pretty bitter hop bitterness in here to with just a touch of yeastiness.

Taste - Pretty similar to the the nose. You've got caramelized malts and citrus hops upfront, with some rye spiciness towards the middle along with more citrus hops. Towards the back, the hop profile starts to get more diverse with the inclusion of strong bitter hops, while maintaining that caramel malt backbone and rye grain bill. The aftertaste is a mix of citrus & bitter hops with more of that caramel maltiness.

Wow, I'm not sure what they did here but this is great! It's nice and hoppy with a good malt balance and the rye bill in here is just right. When it comes to Rye IPAs, they don't come much better than Hop Rod Rye!

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment