Sunday, July 24, 2016

Corona Extra Review



Name: Corona Extra
Brewed by: Grupo Modelo S.A.
Style; American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 4.6%
IBUs: N/A

It all started two weeks ago when I was on vacation with my wife down in Miami, we had decided to go out after showering up at our hotel room after spending about 3 hours on the beach. We decided to hit up the Lincoln Road Mall for some food as well as some hookah to close off the evening.

We found a place where we had some great Mexican food, but the beer selection was very lacking, as in it was all light beer. Our server recommended I get a Corona because it paired so well with the food I was getting. We weren't really in Miami for craft beer so I decided to man up and order a Corona like the good tourist I was. When it was brought to me, the glass had been garnished with a lime wedge, which very much solidified my status as a tourist. It was also at that moment I realized that I had to review this beer because I have a lot to say about it.

I recall being in high school and looking at the photos of my friends who had been on Spring Break down in Miami or Cancun and this beer was pretty much present in every photo and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat jealous. I mean, they're drinking beer in awesome looking locations that I used to see on the Wild On series on the E! Channel way back in the day, and to any adventurous high school student, that sounds like the best thing ever.

You see, the reason for my jealousy was because my family never really believed in the idea of going anywhere for spring break, which is my way of saying that we couldn't afford to go anywhere nice so I was stuck in Minnesota during those times. Alas I'm not in high school anymore and being an adult has its perks, one of which being you can plan your own vacations without having to worry about funding from your parents or bringing along the entire family.

So here we are, Corona Extra, the beer of choice among tourists, high schoolers, and college students across the country who are visiting Miami/Mexico on vacation.

Appearance - We've got a clear pale yellow color with tons of visible carbonation. The head is very thin but it has some surprisingly excellent retention. There isn't any lacing along the sides of the glass however.

Aroma - I'm getting some pretty prominent skunkiness in here along with some light lager and pale malts, along with some cereal grains and cardboard notes. I'm already not looking forward to this....

Taste - Cardboard and pale malts upfront, with some cereal grains and lager yeasts in the back of the palate. I'm getting a smidgen of what could possibly be some bitter hops but you really have to dig for it.  There's also some moderate skunkiness in what is otherwise a very dry aftertaste and finish.

Those photos I mentioned where I saw my friends drinking this in their Spring Break photos? Yeah, had I known what this beer tasted like back when I was 16-17 years old, I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as jealous as I was. As for the beer itself, it's very bland, dry and skunky. Plus the fact that it comes in a clear glass bottle doesn't do anything for the flavor itself.

To everyone out there planning their next vacation to Miami, Cozumel, Cancun, Corpus Christi, or wherever: Please for the love of God, drink better beer while you're on vacation. I know I did whenever I got the chance.

Corona Extra - 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment