Monday, September 12, 2016

Avery The Kaiser Review



Name: Avery The Kaiser Review
Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
ABV: 10.2%
IBUs: N/A

Well, it's been building up to this but this is the Oktoberfest beer that I have been looking forward to the most and this one is from Avery Brewing. I give to you The Kaiser, which is an Imperial Oktoberfest. It's been about three years since I had an Imperial Oktoberfest, which came from Leinenkugel's Uber-Oktoberfest as part of their Big Eddy series.

So what can be said about this beer? Well, aside from it being a strong Oktoberfest, this is the Oktoberfest beer that I got the most requests for after publishing my article about Oktoberfest beers. One of my local haunts for beer was even nice enough to set one aside for myself this past weekend while I was away in Duluth. Plus I've heard some pretty good things about this beer as well and I'm actually kind of excited to have this!

Appearance - Fairly clear dark orange color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty thin but the lacing is somewhat plentiful

Aroma - Strong toffee and caramel malts with some potent piney and bitter hops thrown in. It honestly smells more like an English Barleywine than it does an Oktoberfest

Taste - Fairly strong caramel malts on the front of the palate with some Munich malts and bitter/piney hops and light raisin notes in the back. The aftertaste is fairly dry save for some mild bitter hoppiness and a slightly warming boozy sensation.

I was expecting a bit more in terms of overall flavor complexity but this one is solid nevertheless. It smells great and it also possesses a surprisingly good taste. On top of that, the price is also fairly reasonable so be sure to check this one out.

Avery The Kaiser - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment