Sunday, September 11, 2016

Canal Park Stoned Surf IPA Review



Name: Canal Park Stoned Surf IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7%
IBUs: 65

This past weekend I was back in Duluth to visit family as well as try out some local brews. While I didn't get to have as much Duluth beers as I would've liked, I still managed to grab a growler and take some notes for review.

First up is from Canal Park Brewing Company with their Stoned Surf IPA, which to my understanding is a year-round offering. Also looking at my blog, it's been a little over 2 years since I even talked about them on my blog last and a little under 3 years since I did a proper review of any of their beers.

Also according to their website, this beer is for people who like frozen mustaches, fresh air, cannon balls off cliffs. While I like the last two, the first one kinda sucks; Trust me, it's happened once before back when I had a full beard.

Appearance - Very hazy dark orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty foamy for the most part and the lacing is somewhat on the sparse side.

Aroma - Big citrus hop & mango sweetness with a equally strong caramel malt backbone. I'm also getting some mild toffee notes and a tiny hint of dankness that is almost undetectable.

Taste - Once again, I'm getting a strong citrus hop and mango sweetness on the front of the palate and throughout the flavor. Towards the middle and back, that caramel maltiness and toffee notes build up fast to help balance out the hop profile with some mild bitter notes and dankness in the back and aftertaste.

This one is pretty good. You've got a nice hop profile backed up by an equally solid caramel malt backbone. If you're ever in Duluth and just so happen to stop into Canal Park Brewing, this one should definitely first among the beers you try out there.

Canal Park Stoned Surf IPA - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment