Sunday, February 5, 2017

Scofflaw Double Jeopardy Review



Name: Scofflaw Double Jeopardy
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.5%
IBUs: 110

Well, I'm on the last leg of my Georgia beer package with three left. So now I'm looking at Double Jeopardy, an Imperial IPA from Scofflaw Brewing based out of Atlanta, GA. This is also the only beer from Scofflaw that I got in the package.

From what I've gathered, this brewery has been open for only six months at the time of writing this so these guys are pretty new! Plus a little fun fact: the brewery's name, Scofflaw, comes from a Prohibition-Era term for someone who drinks illegally

Appearance - Cloudy dark orange color with some mild carbonation, It's got a nice and foamy head and the lacing left behind is both plentiful and sticky.

Aroma - Strong citrus, bitter and piney hoppiness backed up by a hefty caramel and toffee malt backbone. It's nothing I haven't seen but everything in this nose is big and robust.

Taste - Big citrus hop sweetness upfront with a strong bitter & piney hop profile in the middle. In the back, I'm getting some moderate bittersweet citrus hops and toffee sweetness. There's also an encompassing caramel & toffee malt backbone that keeps everything from getting too bitter and the balance achieved here is notable!

For a brand new brewery, this is excellent! It's got a nice & strong diverse hop profile and the solid malt backbone gives this a nice balance. In short, this may be one of the best Imperial IPAs I've had in a long time. For those in the Atlanta area, you're lucky to have this brewery. If I ever find myself in Atlanta again, I need to try out more of their beers!

Scofflaw Double Jeopardy - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment