Monday, December 22, 2014

Bud Light Platinum Review



Name: Bud Light Platinum
Brewed By: Anheuser-Busch
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 6%

You want me to let you in on a little secret? Of all of the articles I have written, the post that has the most views isn't a great beer like AleSmith's Wee Heavy or Schell's Arminius. No No. The post with the most views is none other than my review of Miller Fortune, a beer that I enjoyed about as much as a case of appendicitis.

Why does this matter? Well Miller Fortune, in a way, owes its existence to Budweiser. You see back in early 2012, Anheuser-Busch unleashed Bud Light Platinum, presumably as a way to reel in craft beer drinkers with its higher-than-normal alcohol content. You also may notice too that Bud Light Platinum clocks in at 6% ABV, which definitely lands it far outside the realm of what is considered to be light beer. Did I mention it just has 8 less calories than regular Budweiser?

What can be said about Bud Light Platinum aside from the blue bottle? For starters, I've had this before and it was back in February of 2012 while I was watching a Minnesota Wild game with a couple of friends. My initial reaction was that it tasted like rusty dishwater, so I'm not exactly looking forward to having this again. Just remember, I drink it so you don't have to.

Bud Light Platinum pours a clear pale yellow color with some mild visible carbonation. The head starts out thin, even with an aggressive pour, before disappearing into nothingness. As for the lacing......well there is none!

The nose consists of pale malts, some cereal grains, a strong boozy scent and a some light barley. Well, it certainly doesn't smell any different than what I remember.

The taste starts out with a strong booziness followed by some metallic rust, pale malts, cereal grains, cardboard and even more booziness. On the plus side, it feels crisp.

Remember that rusty dishwater comment I made earlier? Well in the almost 3 years since I've had this, pretty much nothing has changed in the flavor so I would say that comment still holds up quite well. Much like Molson XXX & Miller Fortune, I would turn this down if it were offered to me at a party. My only wish is that people will read this review and heed my words. I just hope my Summit glass will forgive for pouring such a terrible beer into it.

Bud Light Platinum - 1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment