Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Corsendonk Christmas Ale Review



Name: Corsendonk Christmas Ale
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
ABV: 8.1%

Every year for Christmas, I celebrate by having one of my favorite Christmas beers courtesy of Brouwerij Corsendonk, which is simply called Christmas Ale. I had this on tap a few years ago at the Nomad World Pub right after Christmas and found it to be pretty good. Since then I've made it a tradition to drink it every year, so I figured it makes sense to give it a proper review.

The beer pours a pitch black color with some high visible carbonation. The head is quite foamy and khaki colored in appearance. The lacing is also very good.

The nose consists mainly of dark licorice, caramel/chocolate malts and dark fruit. This is followed by some bitter hoppiness and some light roastiness.

The taste starts out with a strong black licorice flavor up front with some very strong caramel maltiness. The 2nd half is a mix of dark fruitiness and bitter hoppiness. The aftertaste is dark licorice, some mild roastiness and bitter hops.

With its complex and robust flavor profile, this continues to be a favorite holiday beer for myself. Should you ever get the chance to try this out, I would highly recommend doing so!

Corsendonk Christmas Ale - 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment