Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Victory Prima Pils Review



Name: Victory Prima Pils
Style: Pilsner
ABV: 5.3%

Today I'm going to be reviewing an old favorite of mine from when I first started drinking craft beer: Victory Brewing's Prima Pils. Why is it called Prima, you ask? According to the beer description, Prima is a German exclamation of joy. From what the ever-reliable internet tells me, the English equivalent of Prima is "great."

Prima Pils pours a clear yellow with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head takes on a foamy white appearance but the lacing is very sparse.

The nose starts out with a strong aroma of lemon zest & pilsner malts followed up by some maltiness and some light citra and floral hoppiness.

The taste is lemon zest, pilsner & pale malts, citrus & bitter hops. The aftertaste is strong with some bitter hoppiness. Very robust and complex flavor for a Pilsner. It does have a very crisp body though.

Even though this is one of the first Pilsners that I've ever had way back when I first got into craft beer, this still ranks up there as one of the best that I've ever had. In fact, I would consider Prima Pils to be a textbook example as how to do a Pilsner right. The name may seem a bit presumptuous, but this is indeed a Prima Pils!

Victory Prima Pils - 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment