Saturday, December 6, 2014

Deschutes Jubelale Review


Name: Deschutes Jubelale
Style: Winter Warmer
ABV: 6.7%

It's getting colder and darker outside around this time of the year, much like the beers that many craft beer enthusiasts will be drinking in the coming months. So tonight I've decided to look at what is considered by many to be a staple of winter ales: Jubelale from Deschutes Brewing.

I remember when I first had this beer about 3 years ago, back when I was a senior in college. I had just finished my last final for the fall semester when I stopped by Zipp's Liquor in the Minneapolis' Seward neighborhood as it was on my way back to my home. While I was scanning the aisles, I noticed Jubelale was on sale for $7.99 for a six-pack and the clerk highly recommended it to me.

That night while I was playing Gears of War 3 online, I decided to crack open a bottle of Jubelale. What I was treated to was a mesmerizing and robust tasting beer. Today I'll be revisiting this beer to see how well it has held up compared to when I first had it.

Jubelale pours a clear dark crimson color with some mild visible carbonation. The head takes on a foamy khaki colored appearance and the lacing is both abundant and sticky.

In the nose, I'm picking up on some strong caramel maltiness with a distinct smoky quality. I'm also getting some black licorice & chocolate notes and some mild bitter hoppiness.

The flavor starts out very caramel & smoked malt forward. The second half of the flavor settles into a roasted barley, dark fruit and bitter hop taste.

Out of all the Winter Warmer style ales out there, this ranks up there as one of my favorites. It has held up wonderfully and the flavor is just as complex and robust as I remember it. Be sure to check this.

Deschutes Jubelale - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment