Sunday, January 11, 2015

Broad Brook Hopstillo Review



Name: Broad Brook Hopstillo
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6.8%

Next up on my Connecticut Beer package is Hopstillo from Broad Brook Brewing. According to the brewery's website, it is a West-Coast inspired IPA. As for the name "Hopstillo", I haven't found what kind of a play on words it is, so it's probably just a made up word. I also failed to get a photo of the beer for this review so I'll just have make due with the image above.

Hopstillo pours a mildly hazy orange color with some sparse carbonation. The head take on a foamy appearance and some soapy lacing.

In the nose, it starts off with some strong citrus hops & mango sweetness. Backing that up is an equally strong caramel malt base. I'm also getting some buttery biscuit notes and just a hint of yeastiness.

The flavor, much like the aroma, is fairly citra hop forward with some grapefruit notes. The caramel malts base is just as strong on the back end of the palate. The aftertaste is mainly some bitter hops and some light yeastiness.

Hopstillo is definitely one of the better West Coast-inspired IPAs that I've had. Sure it's not as vibrant or robust in the flavor department as other actual West Coast IPAs I've had before but this is still an excellent beer that is worth checking out.

Broad Brook Hopstillo - 8.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment