Saturday, January 24, 2015

Summit Mild 3X Ale Review



Name: Summit Mild 3X Ale
Style: English Mild Pale Ale
ABV: 7.2%

I've got an interesting concoction from Summit Brewing's Union Series. It's a beer called Mild 3X Ale, which according to Beer Advocate, is an English Pale Mild Ale and usually has an ABV from 3-5%. However since everything is being Imperialized nowadays, you could consider this to be an Imperial English Mild Pale Ale, which is sort of an oxymoron if you think about it. I guess even session ales aren't safe from the Imperial Monster.

I'm also going to say this before starting the review: I'm not at all familiar with the style. In fact the only other English Mild I recall ever having is the Pub Ale from Tallgrass. With all that said, I'm not quite sure what to expect but let's find out!

Mild 3X pours a hazy dark amber color with no visible carbonation to speak of. The head is nice and foamy and the lacing retention is quite good.

The nose has some very strong toffee and chocolate malts upfront. This is followed up by a bit of roastiness and some coffee grounds. I'm also picking up on some mild hoppiness but it's tucked away in the back of the aroma

The flavor is very chocolate malt & roasted barley forward. I'm picking up on some smoky notes and a bit toffee sweetness as well. The bitter hops make an notable appearance at the end and lingers on in the aftertaste for a few moments along with some mild roastiness.


I have to say this is unlike any other beer I've had in a while...and I love it! In fact, I'd even go as far to say that this is probably the best Union Series entry yet. It's got a nice robust flavor and yet it's very easy to drink. Flavor-wise, it straddles the line between Amber Ale & Stout perfectly, though I'm not sure if that was the intent. Either way, it works for me!

Summit Mild 3X Ale - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment